Friday, September 13, 2013

iUniverse author John C. Woodcock’s insights on writing: Part 1

“I have been writing for twenty-five years or so. I have written ten books now, many articles and essays, and poetry. I have also created some works of art. I keep a dream journal and have countless note books. I have also completed a master’s degree and doctoral degree, both of which required years of putting pen to paper, or finger to keyboard.

Only in my academic writing did I receive some formal training but I still do not know how to type beyond the two-fingered method. In all my other literary output, I received no training or coaching in the craft of writing. I simply do not conceive of my life as being that of an author. I do not consider the craft of writing as a career for me. I apparently picked up what I needed in order to say what I wanted to say, as I went along. When, finally, some kind individuals agreed to edit a small piece or two, I was shocked at the degree to which their careful editing exposed holes in my knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation, structural convention, formatting styles, etc.”

Click here to read the full article

0 comments:

Post a Comment